Friday, July 1, 2011

Spoiling a Child

I found this poem online today. It made me teary remembering riding in the cab of Grandp's tractor, washing windows (and thinking it was such a treat!) with Grandma and playing Barbies for endless hours with Gramma.   Enjoy!

Please Spoil Me

Dear Grandma and Grandpa,
Please feel free to spoil me. Spoil me rotten. But remember that my perspective as a small child is different than yours.  I do not remember what you bought me last week and whether it was a toy, clothes, candy or a book. My memory does not recall if it cost $100 or if you made me a drawing with my own crayons. I play with the same gusto in hand me down jeans and a t-shirt as I do in a brand new party outfit that I have nowhere to wear. Please feel free to spoil me. I cannot be spoiled rotten with too much love. Spend time walking with me, watching the bugs with me, reading with me and coloring with me. Sing my favorite songs with me and share my favorite foods with me. Let the sand trickle into your shoes as we dig holes in the sandbox. Play with me at my height so that I might throw my arms around you and shower you with loves. Make silly faces and noises with me that make me bubble up with laughter. Help me to learn that life’s riches are not in possessions but in the joy and laughter we share. Fill my heart with love and my mind with memories so that when you are no longer here, I can tell my children about the grandparent who spoiled me.
Love,
Your Spoiled Grandchild

1 comment:

  1. What a perfect, so true, absolutely beautiful poem! Wish I was closer to spoil Abi more often, L, Gramma Cindy

    ReplyDelete